The Chair Affair is Pathways to Housing PA's signature fundraising event. In prior years, artists chose a chair from the Philadelphia Furniture Bank (PFB) and turned it into a work of art; the chairs were then auctioned at the event to help raise funds for operations at PFB. This year, we're expanding the premise to include other furniture pieces and/or works of art created by a participating artist that doesn't involve an item from PFB - it's time to get really creative!
We're putting out this open call to artists who are interested, and our guest curator (Damon Reaves from the Philadelphia Museum of Art) will choose 15-20 artists to participate that show a diverse range of mediums and styles. Photos of last year's chairs, and the event itself, can be found here.
Each artist will receive a $200 stipend to cover the cost of supplies, as well complimentary registration for the event and recognition/promotion via social media and local press outlets.
- The call for artists will close on January 3, 2020
- Artists will be chosen no later than January 17, 2020
- Artists will select visit the Philadelphia Furniture Bank to get inspired, and if applicable, choose their furniture, at one of two pre-scheduled, mandatory events: Wednesday, January 22 from 9am-10:30am, or Thusrday, January 23 from 4pm-6pm
- Completed chairs are due by March 6, 2020
- Each work of art will be promoted leading up to the event on April 23, 2020