Open Call for Artists - Chair Affair 2021
The Chair Affair is Pathways to Housing PA's signature fundraising event. Chosen artists will take inspiration from the Philadelphia Furniture Bank (PFB) and turn it into a work of art. The pieces will be auctioned at the event in April 2021 to help raise funds for operations at PFB.
We are looking for artists who want to choose a piece of furniture to refinish, AND artists who want to create an original piece inspired by PFB.
We're putting out this open call to artists who are interested, and our guest curator (Damon Reaves from the Philadelphia Museum of Art) will choose 15-20 artists to participate that show a diverse range of mediums and styles. Artists of all experience levels are invited to respond! Photos of last year's chairs, and the event itself, can be found here.
Each artist will receive a $200 stipend to cover the cost of supplies, as well complimentary registration for the event and recognition/promotion via social media and local press outlets.
The timeline for the project is as follows:
- The call for artists will close on December 18, 2020
- Artists will be notified of their status no later than January 11, 2021
- Selected artists will visit the Philadelphia Furniture Bank to get inspired, and if applicable, choose their furniture, at one of two pre-scheduled, mandatory events: Wednesday, January 20 from 9am-10:30am, or Thursday, January 21 from 4pm-6pm
- Completed chairs are due by March 12, 2021
- Each work of art will be promoted leading up to the event on April 22, 2021
To apply please click here!