The top 5 things you made possible in 2015
Here it is... your Top 5 of 2015!
Thanks to your generous support, the first year of the Philadelphia Furniture Bank has been one to remember. We gratefully present to you the top 5 things you made possible in 2015!
#1: You helped more than 1,000 people
- You provided furniture for 1,080 individuals in 388 households.
- Out of 1,080 individuals, there were 634 children, many of whom were sleeping on the floor before they came to the Furniture Bank.
- 55% of those households were single mothers with children.
#2: You donated A LOT of furniture
- 147 of you donated furniture!
- The total value of the furniture given away was $313,280.25!
- Special SHOUT OUTS to a few organizations for their large donations: Temple University, The Double Tree Hotel, and Morry's Furniture. If you would like to donate furniture CLICK HERE!
#3: You helped people get back to work
You made it possible for 6 formerly homeless men to start working at the Philadelphia Furniture Bank! Our Supported Employment program helps participants at Pathways gain job skills they need to re-enter the workforce. It's founded on the belief that anyone can work if they are given the right support.We help participants identify their employment goals and then provide support and encouragement. Participants in the program genuinely enjoy giving back to people who are coming out of homelessness, an experience they have been through themselves.
#4 You helped our veterans
“My first night I ate a pizza on the floor because I had nowhere to sit down. The furniture I was able to finally receive from your organization allowed me to have a comfortable place to live after so many years of nothing to myself."
Dave is a veteran who was recently homeless. He secured a place to live but did not have any furniture in his apartment. The Furniture Bank was able to provide him with furniture to make his apartment feel like a home. Continue reading Dave’s story here. For more stories, visit our Facebook page.
#5 You volunteered
240 Volunteers donated their time! Individuals and groups came through the Furniture Bank all year long helping to move furniture, take clients around the warehouse as personal “shoppers” and administrative help. If you are interested in volunteering, please visit our website. We really need the help! Special thanks to the Center for Student Missions and Mission Year for sending us groups of volunteers throughout the year!
Want to continue to providing furniture to help families moving out of homelessness? Donate today!