Truck Driver/Warehouse Assistant
Position Summary: The Philadelphia Furniture Bank is a non-profit that provides used furniture to people coming out of homelessness.
The Truck Driver/Warehouse Assistant assists the Furniture Bank in loading the truck and making deliveries. The Driver will also pick up furniture donations from donors and unload them at the Furniture Bank. The Driver will coordinate with the Director and Assistant Director of the Furniture Bank about deliveries, routes and pickups. At times when deliveries are not needed the Driver/Warehouse Assistant will assist in the warehouse with moving and staging furniture, helping to keep the warehouse clean and repairing furniture. This position will interface with staff at furniture bank, volunteers, donors, community members and clients of the furniture bank.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver, load, and unload items chosen by recipients.
- Pick up, load, unload, and sort donated furniture from organizations and individual homes.
- Assist donors, member agency/program staff, and recipients in the warehouse.
- Provide daily direction to truck staff members.
- Participate in program and agency meetings and relevant trainings as required.
- Work alongside and direct volunteers, where applicable
- Assure that volunteers are treated with respect and dignity regardless of race, ethnic background, gender or socioeconomic background.
- Participate in staff meetings, in-service training and staff development programs, professional meetings, conferences and related programs as requested.
- Organize, sort, display, fix, and clean furniture in warehouse. Prepare furniture for delivery.
Essential Education, Experience and Skills:
- Ability to drive a 16' or longer box truck.
- Valid Pennsylvania State Driver's license and clean driving record.
- Self-motivated with an ability to prioritize and problem-solve, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to use a GPS.
- Willingness and ability to interact positively and appropriately with very diverse populations.
- Computer literacy
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work on a team.
- Must be able to pass Doctor’s physical to receive Medical Examiner’s Certificate per DOT regulations.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Frequently does both indoor and outdoor work in transporting furniture
- Constantly reaches outward while handling furniture
- Occasionally reaches above shoulder
- Frequently pushes and pulls 41-100 pounds multiple times per day while handling furniture
- Frequently stands, travels and walks while handling furniture
- Occasionally sits, climbs, squats, kneels, bends, and handles and grips while performing duties
The employee is expected to adhere to all agency policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to policies.
To apply, send an email with cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate the position in your email's subject line.