Posted December 30, 2019
Position Summary: The Advocacy Coordinator is a member of the Community Inclusion and Advocacy Department supporting the civic engagement of program participants to advocate for themselves within health and social systems. They work across clinical teams to provide recovery oriented services in a flexible, compassionate, and responsible manner to a wide spectrum of program participants. The Advocacy Coordinator establishes and maintains activities to develop, locate, and nurture advocacy opportunities with participants locally, state-wide, and nationally. Based on participant direction the coordinator assists in accessing resources and engaging with civic partners to foster interest and discern avenues of engagement around holistic health and wellness issues. The Advocacy Coordinator will track legislation and issues affecting program participants, connect with community partners acting to address identified issues, and attend/participate in meetings and committees with participants. The Advocacy Coordinator documents and collects data concerning potential civic partners, visits participants in their home, measures participant advocacy interests, and supports participants once engaged.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identify advocacy partners across the region, develop and maintain positive working relationships with partners, and connect participants to their programming
• Maintains relationships with the offices of local elected officials
• Develop and maintain database of participant voter registration and coordinate efforts to get participants to polls
• Connect with volunteers at Pathways to Housing PA and activate them for civic action
• Train staff and participants on utilizing Pennsylvania’s mail in ballot process while tracking participants enrolled in the program
• Maintain written and computerized records, compile reports and complete other program documentation (including case notes, statistics, reports, letters, etc.)
• Compile data and reports concerning participant engagement and community advocacy opportunities
• Develop positive civic relationships with participants and advocacy partners by attending and participating in community events
• Development of the Pathways to Housing PA Participant Advocate initiative by leading a bi-weekly group, meeting with participants individually, and building story-telling for legislative action skills
• Promote and assist participants accessing advocacy and volunteer opportunities
• Plan and execute an annual Pathways to Housing PA advocacy event
• Coordinate opportunities for direct action through training, demonstrations, and speaking
• Manage special projects as assigned
• Other duties as assigned.
Essential Education, Experience and Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of experience serving persons with disabilities is preferred
• Lived experience with mental health symptoms is preferred
• Ability to develop groups and coordinate activities
• Primarily utilize public transit with participants to demonstrate and model independent transportation
• Demonstrated knowledge regarding the history of advocacy and social action
• Capable of setting goals and working independently
• Patience, creativity, flexibility, compassion, and sensitivity to persons with disabilities and other minority populations
• Ability to work with diverse populations including clients and staff
• Strong and efficient written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• MS Word, Excel, and Publisher proficient
• Ability to meet with participants in their homes and in the community
• Ability to document all participant interactions coherently in a timely manner
• Sensitive to cultural, economic, gender, and sexual orientation differences
• Excellent communication, organization, writing, and computer skills
• Bilingual a plus
• Valid driver's license and clean driving record
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Community environment. Constant interaction with agency clientele. Considerable walking and standing.
The employee is expected to adhere to all agency policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to policies.
How to Apply:
To apply, send an email with cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position in your email's subject line.