Training & Technical Assistance
As practitioners of the Housing First model, we have helped to end homelessness for hundreds of people previously unreachable by our traditional systems. Good people in good agencies and caring communities spend a lot of time trying to work with chronically homeless folks with disabilities and it can be frustrating. What is needed is a good model.
We can help you with that. We do this work every day.
Contact us at Training@pathwaystohousingpa.org.
As an evidence-based practice, Housing First has not only been proven to be successful in ending homelessness, but is also embraced as the most cost-effective solution. Today, the Housing First model is being implemented in hundreds of communities across the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia. As the research, innovation, and implementations on the model evolve one fact remains constant: Housing First ends homelessness. You can find lots of supporting research HERE.
The Housing First Philosophy is to provide housing first, and then combine that housing with an appropriate level of supportive treatment services in the areas of mental and physical health, substance abuse, education, and employment. Housing is provided in apartments scattered throughout a community. This "scattered site" model fosters a sense of home and self-determination, and it helps speed the reintegration of Pathways clients into the community. Other site based or grouped units housing models have worked in communities with limited rental housing stock, and for targeted populations. Either way, the model shows that immediate access to housing without preconditions, paired with appropriate support services, equals success!
Our Training and Technical Assistance services are offered by "Boots on the Ground" trainers who grapple with the same issues that you do every day. We don't employ trainers who are not actively providing services. Housing First is much more than theory, and you deserve to learn from people who excel at practice.
- Housing First 101: What it is & What it isn't
- Identifying and Convening Stakeholders & Building Political Will
- Identifying Funding & Maximizing Medicaid
- Choosing Team Composition and Hiring Staff
- Engaging the Community
- Embracing Housing First Principles
- Orienting Staff & Training Supervisors
- Ensuring Evidence-Based Practices
- Using the Team Approach
- Home Visits- Why and How We Do Them
- Procuring Housing & Building Relationships with Landlords
- Re-Housing Issues & Maintenance
- Embracing Community Integration & Supporting It
- Practicing Harm Reduction in a Clean and Sober System
- Why you need a Housing Department in your Clinical Program
- The Value of the Peer Experience on Housing First Teams
- Integrated Healthcare and Housing First
- More than an empty apartment: Furniture, Housewares & Why They Matter
We need your help to continue offering real solutions to chronic homelessness in Philadelphia.